Alaska USA Federal Credit Union is based in Anchorage, Alaska. Alaska USA FCU is chartered and regulated under the authority of the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA). Alaska USA is the 10th largest credit union in the United States. As of 2008, Alaska USA had $3.8 billion USD in total assets and over 340,000 members across 57 branch locations.
What Is Alaska USA Federal Credit Union?
Alaska USA Federal Credit Union is a financial services cooperative that is federally chartered with branch offices throughout the state of Alaska, the Puget Sound area of Washington State, and Victor Valley, California. Alaska USA is the largest provider of customer financial services in Alaska, with growing membership in California, Washington, and the other 47 states. Alaska USA also gives business services such as checking, commercial loans and insurance.
Alaska USA Credit Union founded and operates the Alaska Option Network, which gives ATM and point-of-sale payment, settlement, switching and related services for financial institutions throughout the United States. Alaska USA FCU also owns and operates the Alaska USA Mortgage Company, with offices found in Alaska and Washington, as well as the Alaska USA Title Agency, Alaska USA Trust Company and Alaska USA Insurance Brokers.
Alaska USA FCU’s History
The Alaska Command Federal Credit Union was originally founded in 1948 for federal employees and military personnel stationed in Alaska. The credit union provided services to military bases all throughout Alaska.
The construction of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System during the 1970s led to a surge in the credit union’s membership and led to 25,000 new members. Alaska USA Credit Union received Congressional authority to give services to ANRC or Alaska Native Regional Corporations in the same decade. Alaska USA Federal Credit Union adopted its current name in 1975.
Alaska USA Federal Credit Union From 2000
Some time in September 2009, the National Credit Union Administration liquidated MOFCU or Members’ Own Federal Credit Union of Victorville, California: the credit union’s assets were purchased by Alaska USA FCU.
Alaska USA FCU Services
Alaska USA credit union specializes in providing financial services for its members. Many of these services are provided for little to no cost because credit unions are not-for-profit financial institutions.
Alaska USA Federal Credit Union offers the following services to its members:
- Checking Accounts: There are 3 consumer checking accounts offered by Alaska USA, with free checking available for young adults.
- Savings Accounts: A secure way to save and give immediate access to your money.
- Money Market Accounts: Easy access with dividends based on current market conditions. 3 accounts are available, with tiers that allow for higher earnings as balances rise.
- Certificate Accounts: Alaska USA Federal Credit Union offers guaranteed returns due to higher rates for specified periods of investment.
- Individual Retirement Accounts or IRAs: Save for the future with the potential for tax advantages.
- Health Savings Accounts: Alaska USA Federal Credit Union provides cost savings and flexibility for qualifying health care costs.